Friday, July 22, 2005


Join the NRA

Got to thinking about the 2nd Amendment today, so I checked with the NRA on my membership. Even though I have about a year and a half to go on my current membership, I went ahead and renewed. In fact, while I was at it, I became a life member.

A couple of years ago, I got into a nasty argument with someone about self-defense. I had mentioned that I had a handgun which I had purchased in case it ever became necessary to defend myself or my family. This unnamed person parroted the liberal line that only the police should have guns and that anyone who owned a gun was some kind of a right-wing kook harboring Rambo delusions. Nothing I said had the least impact on this person. To the contrary, the more I tried to explain why I had chosen to buy a weapon, the angrier and more irrational they got.

It was at that point that I decided to join the NRA. Once I encountered this kind of unreasoning mentality, I knew I had to support my constitutional rights because if this person and other like-minded liberals had their way, they wouldn't hesitate to ban guns regardless of what the Constitution says.

"A well regualted Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive