Thursday, July 21, 2005

Coulter Disses Roberts

By now, you've probably heard that Ann Coulter had a column yesterday dissing the Roberts nomination.

I don't know how extensive Roberts' "paper trail" is. If it is short, then Ann has a point (although I don't know if it is possible for Roberts to turn out to be as bad as Souter).

However, I do disagree with her assessment. While it's too early to tell (remember he hasn't even been confirmed yet), my take is that you can tell a lot about a person by who his friends and his enemies are.

Apart from Ann Coulter, conservatives have been elated by the Roberts nomination. And, equally important, liberals have wasted no time howling about the nomination. Without having the time to do my own investigation of Roberts' record, I'm willing to take these responses as good signs that Roberts will be a solid conservative.

Finally, let's not forget that Pres. Bush pledged to put solid constitutional constructionists on the Court. One thing we've learned is that Bush is a man of his word. While Ann Coulter is usually solid in her views, I think she needs to give Roberts -- and Pres. Bush -- the benefit of the doubt.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive