Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Spiritual Devotion Meme

Saw this on the 'Singing in the Reign' blog and thought I would post it and my responses here.

1. Favorite devotion or prayer to Jesus.
I really like a well-done Benediction service. There's nothing quite like the incense, candles, vestments, etc. Moreover, the Tantum Ergo, O Salutaris Hostia,
and the Divine Praises can be very edifying and uplifting.

2. Favorite Marian devotion or prayer.
The most powerful "weapon" in the world -- the Rosary.

3. Do you wear a scapular or medal?
Yes -- for more than 30 years. Which is pretty amazing considering that I've only been Catholic for about 10 years. (It's a long story that I don't have time to go into here. Suffice it to say that the ways of God and His Blessed Mother and so much surer than ours.)

4. Do you have holy water in your home?
Yes.

5. Do you "offer up" your sufferings?
Sometimes. But I'm usually too stubborn, or too much of a baby to think to do so.

6. Do you observe First Fridays and First Saturdays?
Well, not really. While I go to Mass on Fridays and Saturdays, I usually forget that it's a First Friday or Saturday.

7. Do you go to Eucharistic Adoration? How Frequently?
Yes, but not on a regular basis. For a while, we were going regularly on Sunday evenings. It was a great way to end the weekend and prepare for the new week. Somehow, we got distracted and stopped. However, it's (almost) a new year and I think I have a great idea for a New Year's resolution. :-)

8. Are you a Saturday evening Mass person or a Sunday morning Mass person?
Sunday morning. Saturday evening Mass rubs me the wrong way. I know it was started for people who have to work Sundays, but I suspect many (most?) of the folks who go to Saturday evening Mass are there so they can sleep in, go golfing, watch football, read the newspaper, etc. on Sunday morning.

For crying out loud, God gave us everything -- jobs, golf, football, newspapers, etc. You'd think we could begrudge Him an hour Sunday morning to give thanks.

9. Do you say prayers at mealtime?
Yes. It's also a great way to stealth evangelize. It made the Sign of the Cross and said grace at an airport restaurant once and a woman was prompted to come over and talk to me about being Catholic.

10. Favorite saints.
St. Joseph (see #3 above :-)
The Blessed Virgin Mary
Thomas a Kempis
(I know, technically he's not a saint. But don't tell me the author of 'My Imitation of Christ' isn't a familiar friend of our Lord Jesus)
St. Thomas Aquinas
St. Irenaeus

Mary Magdalen

11. Can you recite the Apostles' Creed by heart?
Yes.

12. Do you usually say short prayers (aspirations) during the course of the day?
Yes. I heard a talk by Fr. Philip Scott and he taught the aspiration 'Praise be Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever'. I started saying it and find myself saying it throughout the course of the day.

13. Bonus Question: When you pass by an automobile accident or other serious mishap, do you say a quick prayer for the folks involved?
Yes. I saw three 'Hail Mary' for the injured and the responders.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive