Friday, December 22, 2006

If You're Going to Defend Yourself, Make Sure You've Got the Right Weapon to Defend Yourself With

Interesting story I came across via the "Of Arms and the Law" blog. It seems a bad guy tried to murder a fellow in the course of a robbery but missed and then learned he went after the wrong victim -- one who was able to defend himself and shoot back.

What makes this story particularly noteable is that the robber/would-be killer got shot between the eyes by the victim with a 9mm handgun. However, the bullet furrowed into the flesh of the robber's forehead causing a lot of swelling, a big black eye (and probably a massive headache). So, the jist of the article the blog linked to was about the "search and seizure" aspects of the cops getting a warrant to remove the slug from the perp's forehead.

However, there is another aspect to the case that the news story does not get into: If you are about to be killed by a bad guy but manage to get a shot off in self-defense, it doesn't do you much good if your weapon doesn't put the bad guy down.

Naturally, I'm not in favor of killing anyone. On the other hand, if someone is coming after me or my family with the intent to kill, I'm going to defend them / myself. And, if such an awful situation was to develop, the last thing I'd want is to get a shot off and it doesn't stop the bad guy. Can you imagine what it must have been like for this victim? He just shot this perp between the eyes and, apart from the fact that he'll probably need some future cosmetic surgery, all that happened was the perp got knocked down and ended up with a headache!

Moral of the story: If you need to defend yourself, make sure you've got a weapon you can defend yourself with. I know I do.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive