Monday, July 10, 2006

Desert Island Books

Thinking of lists made me think of an old list question: "what book(s) would you take if you were going to be stranded on a desert island?"

I have a slight twist in mind though. Usually, when folks answer this question, they offer lame answers like "the Bible" or the "Complete Works of Shakespeare". However, I think these answers are disengenious cop-outs as these people have probably not picked up a Bible in years, if ever, so such an answer doesn't really tell you much about them (which is the purpose of the question -- isn't it?)

So, how about this: Name up to five books, which you have already read most/all of, that you would take to a desert island to read again.

I think (assuming one gets honest answers) this question could result in some truly interesting answers. My answers would be (subject to revision based on some more thought) are:
  • My Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis (a timeless classic -- you could never actually be "finished" with this book)
  • He Leadeth Me by Fr. Walter Cieszek (the spiritual journey of a priest who spent the better part of his life as a prisoner of the Soviets)
  • The Civil War by Shelby Foote (not only a great history of the war, but at more than 3,000 pages, it would sure help pass the time on the island!)
  • Keep It Simple by Emmanuel de Gibergues (an eye opener)
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (the best American novel ever written)

2 comments:

Matthew said...

The Silmarillionby J. R. R. Tolkien
The Odysseyby Homer
The Chronicles of Narniaby C. S. Lewis
Father Elijahby Michael O' Brien
How to Survive On and Escape from a Desert Islandby whomever ;-)

Putting the limitation on making sure you've read the books kind of put me to shame on a couple of books I should have read by now. Oh well, I'll revise when I get my act together. =)

CoolRich said...

Your last "book" reminds me of a similar response made by Chesterton I believe. Someone asked him what book he would bring to a desert island and his response was something like "How to Build a Raft". Classic response!

Followers

Blog Archive