The Thomas Sowell
Common Sense Award
I've been thinking about doing this for a while. I mean, why not? Liberals have dozens of meaningless awards recognizing fellow liberals in worthless, narcissistic ways. Why not have an award that actually means something? -- an award that recognizes someone who has their head screwed on straight, who says something that makes sense, who isn't "stuck on stupid"?
Now, I figured I'd be "presenting" the award to Thomas Sowell more often than not. (Who else speaks offers as much no nonsense, plain speaking and common sense as the great man himself?) However, to my pleasant surprise, a week or so ago I read a very interesting article by playwright David Mamet in which he tells of his discovery that he was a conservative (and not, in his words, a "brain dead liberal").
What was even more of a pleasant surprise, Mamet refers to Thomas Sowell in his article as: "our greatest contemporary philosopher".
Couldn't have said it better myself. And with that, David Mamet is the first recipient of my Thomas Sowell No Nonsense, Plain Speaking, Common Sense Award.
- ► 2011 (56)
- ► 2010 (61)
- ► 2009 (59)
- How the Dems Intend to Get Tough on Terrorists
- Thomas Sowell's 'Random Thoughts' Some samples of...
- Put Me Out To PastureBoy, do I feel old. Just thi...
- Remember the 'Zune'? that's OK, neither do I I sa...
- Santo Subito! Pope remembers John Paul as saintho...
- The Thomas Sowell No Nonsense, Plain Speaking, Com...
- The Thomas SowellNo Nonsense,Plain Speaking,Common...
- Santo Subito!HOLY MASS ON THE SECOND ANNIVERSARY O...
- My New Hobby
- ▼ April (9)
- ► 2007 (195)
- ► 2006 (293)