Saturday, March 25, 2006

This Tiger Wanted to be a seal -- as in SEAL
(saw this via Froggy Ruminations)

Tiger Woods Visits Naval Special Warfare

Blackanthem Military News, CORONADO, Calif., February 01, 2006 13:35

Pro golfer Tiger Woods viewing a static display of various SEAL weaponry. Tiger was in San Diego for the Buick Invitational Golf Tournament and spent the afternoon learning about the Special Operations Community. Photo courtesy of U.S. Navy

Pro golfer Tiger Woods visited the men and women of Naval Special Warfare Jan. 23 to tour their facilities and learn more about their mission.

Woods was in town for the Buick Invitational at Torrey Pines, in which he is the defending champion, and wanted to see some of the Navy’s champion SEALs and Special Warfare Combatant-craft Crewmen (SWCC). The visit gave him a glimpse into the training and capabilities of the Navy’s finest warriors.

Woods learned about SEAL training and the various weapons they use, and then addressed Sailors who were preparing to enter the SEAL training program.

"If I hand’t been in golf, I would have been here with you guys" said Woods. "When I was younger, I always dreamed of being a Navy SEAL."

The class responded with the traditional Naval Special Warfare "Hooyah!" cheer.

"My mom was Asian, so she was disciplined," Woods said. "My father, being former military, was also very disciplined. I was very lucky," said Woods. "I wouldn’t have had the discipline to succeed in my sport if not for my upbringing."

Woods’ visit concluded with a demonstration of the high-speed boats used by the SWCC operators.

"I really admire what you’re doing for your country," Woods said, "and that you’re going to be out there protecting our freedom."


By Petty Officer 3rd Class Christopher Menzie / Naval Special Warfare Public Affairs

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive